Wednesday, May 6, 2015

ARM CHAIR ACTIVISM

Before I invite others to contribute I decided to write about some of my activities and interest outside of my normal day to day life as a high schooler. In order to graduate high school, all students here must complete at least 40 hours of volunteer activities. Many do much more. Some create their own opportunities that reflect their passion and skill sets versus just handing out plastic water bottles to racers during the Ironman race. I do the mundane and submit my hours.

Then I get involved 'Off the Path' and broaden my horizons like earning some funds to sponsor a student in Kenya. His name is Kennedy and he is just one year younger than me. My mom and me contribute monthly a reasonable donation for his meals, clothes, orphanage roof overhead, uniform and school books. A local non-profit was created just to support his school/orphanage and it is called Reason 2 Smile.org. Keela Grimmette started the support group when she went to volunteer teach and realized kids in Kenya need bucks not outsiders as their own people have better qualifications to teach Kenyans. My mom would remind me how I should appreciate the educational opportunity to learn in Lake Placid, NY instead of bush Alaska and to work my hardest. I then replied: "What about those kids in Kenya? They have it harder than in bush Alaska."  She decided to Walk Our Talk and sponsor a child who does not have the advantages most in America have. Be grateful for your blessings and have empathy for others.

Now I decided to write letters or do small actions that help bring positive change to America and Indian Country. I may no longer live in my hometown Indian village, but I can help bring better days by being connected electronically!

No comments:

Post a Comment